Saturday, May 5, 2012

5 Month Letter


Happy belated five-month birthday, little ladies!

I always start these on the day of your birthday with the best of intentions of getting them posted.  However, I think the fact that your month letters are always a bit late attests to just how busy our little family is these days.  And by busy, I mean fun and wild and crazy. Because we are truly having so, so much fun. (Girls, mommy just started two sentences in a row with cardinal elementary school sins—with “and” and “because.”  Don’t do it or you will get slack for it, and that will be a great big mommy fail.)

I am pretty sure I say this every month, but this was the best month yet!  You both are so big and fun and aware now.  I mean, you have always been fun, but it’s in a different way now.  In a way that makes me want to wake you up when you have been sleeping too long.  In a way that makes ME squeal with delight when you laugh. In a way that makes me bring my hands up to my chin and giddily clap them together when you do something new.  In a way that makes me love you more and more every single day, even when it doesn’t seem possible that I could love you more than I already do.

This month started out with some amazing news—Sophie, you no longer have to wear your hip brace 24/7! Instead of tears at the orthopedists office, mommy clapped your hands together while you grinned at the PA.  Gramma and Grampa went with us to the appointment but stayed in the waiting room while you were being examined.  When we were walking out, daddy asked if he could drop kick the brace when we got out to the waiting room to show G&G that you didn’t have it on anymore.  I “regulated” (as daddy would call it) and told him that might not be the best of ideas.  Anyway, now you wear your braces only at nighttime and naps.  We got the go ahead for you not to wear it during every nap(especially you, Annie), so we tried it the first day, and that did not go well.  Not at all!  Both of you have actually become accustomed to your braces to help you sleep.  Oops!  Sophia, you love to have your brace off during snuggle or playtime, though.  You lift your legs so high in the air that your butt is off the floor.  You kick and play to your heart’s content.  It is so sweet, and I’m so glad we got through this hurdle together.  I know it was devastating in the very beginning, but just like everyone said it would be, it has just been a little blip in the radar!

Before we got that news, though, mommy had to go back to work.  On April 2, I went back as a third grade teacher.  I am so lucky, though, for a few reasons.  First of all, I only have to work on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.  This is bearable, and it still allows me to be home with you more than I am away from you.  Second, we are so lucky because grandma Dingo and grandpa watched you for the first 3 weeks I went back to work.  It’s amazing how much you love your G&G.  Your faces light up when you see them (and I’m pretty sure the feeling is mutual).  You had so much fun with them, playing all day.   Aunt Lauren and neighbor Ms. Lisa got to watch you for a few days, too.  I was really sad the night before I went back to work, but I know it is what is best for our family.  I am still sad to leave you in the morning, and I miss you terribly when I’m at work, but it’s comforting to know that you are safe and sound at home with people who love you and care about you so much.

I just have to note that both of you have become champion nursers.  I still have to pump because it can be hard to feed both of you at the same time, but I am so proud of how far you have come.  There was a time that I thought I would never be able to nurse you and have that connection with you, but once again, you proved me wrong! 


This is how much I love my toys!

Mesmerized by the playmat
You have both really shown a love for toys this month, and it’s so cute!  You can hang out on your play mat for 20 or 30 minutes at a time playing with buggy, dolly, Lulu in her Tutu, your snail, etc.   We also got out your jumperoo from Aunt Cindy and Uncle Jeff this month!  Oh my, you could not love it more!  It became clear that you loved it so much that we quickly had to go get another jumperoo (Baby Einstein version).  You will both jump and play in it several times a day.  Your feet don’t quite touch the ground yet, so there are books under one and a Wii balance board under the other.  You also enjoy sitting up in your Bumbo chairs and do so often.  Both of you love to play with dad and me, and you spend a lot of your time standing up on our laps or the floor in the front of us looking around.  It amazes me how strong you have gotten in such a short period of time.  You just love to stand!

Hangin' in the Bumbo

Sophie loves her Jumperoo!


Sophia
When we went to see Dr. Kiley for your four-month appointment, she asked us to start giving you some rice cereal.  This is a daddy thing!  We have only given it to you a few times, but you seem to enjoy it for the most part.  Daddy really loves giving it to you, and it’s super cute.  Most of the time you sit up in your high chair with us when we eat, unless you are sleeping.  You love to have a bunch of toys with you to play with, and you seem to like having a little stuffed lovey to hold onto now, too. 

Annabel

Heart Ultrasound
Watching the screen
We separated you (for a short time) for the first time this month!  We had to take Annabel to her cardiologist appointment—all is well and we go back in several months for a follow up.  They did an ultrasound of your heart, and that took a while, and you totally lost it toward the middle of it.  It was nothing a bottle couldn’t fix, though.  Dad and I went to Einstein Bagels afterwards with you, and remarked at how “easy” it was with just one baby.  But we would never, ever want just one baby!







You got a new car this month, too.  I loved my Subaru, but it was so impractical.  Trying to fit your carseats in the back with everything else that we needed was insane.  So, daddy and I spent a couple of days looking at cars while you chilled at home with Grandma and Grandpa.  In the end, we got a Honda Pilot.  We love it!

Daddy changing the girls in the back of the Pilot

 Naps are going so well in your cribs!  You still sleep right next to dad and me at night, and I love it.  It doesn’t seem to bother either one of us—all four of us usually sleep through the night with no interruption—so we will keep that up until it seems like the right time to transition you into your cribs for nighttime.  Most of the time you sleep really well during the day, with a few exceptions.  You usually nap for 1.5-2.5 hours in the morning, then again in the afternoon, with naps sometimes being closer to 3 or 3.5 hours.  Then after about 5ish, you catnap off and on until bed around 730 or 8 depending on when your last bottle is.  We have to go and reinsert your pacifiers every once in a while, but you usually fall right back asleep.

You are both rolling over now!  You consistently roll from belly to back, and AnnaBelly, you are SUPER close to rolling from your back to your belly.  You have gotten almost entirely over except for one pesky little arm that always seems to get stuck underneath you.  I still jump up and down and clap for you when one of you rolls over, because I am just so proud of you.  (If you haven’t noticed, I am extremely proud of you both).  Grandma, Grandpa, mommy and daddy all got to see Sophia roll over for the first time, and then I got to see Annabel roll.  I was taking pictures of you both doing tummy time, and all of a sudden, Annie, you just rolled!  I felt bad because you rolled into the side of the rocking chair, but you didn’t seem to care. 

Annabel right after rolling

 Speaking of tummy time, I was getting so discouraged by your disdain for tummy time.  Annie, you especially would scream the second we turned you over.  I was getting so concerned because I knew how important it was for your development that you have that time on your stomach.  Then, one day, the dreaded tummy time came, and Annie, you just lifted your head up like it was no big deal and gave me a big grin.  It was as if you were saying, “OK, you win. I’ll do my tummy time, mom.”  Ever since then, you only give us a hard time about tummy time if you have been doing it too long. 



I can’t keep track of all the outings we have been on this month.  Belle, you are much less Hell’s Bells-ish these days.  Although you can still be a cranky pants on rare occasions, most of your waking time is spent with a huge smile on your face.  We have discovered that it is best if we can sit outside when we go out to eat.  I don’t get nearly as anxious when one of you cries!



Annabel, you also laughed this month—it is really hard to get it out of you, but when you laugh it’s just adorable!  Sophia, you laugh a lot!  We are always guaranteed a laugh out of you when daddy puts your feet into your mouth (eew!). 




Oh, how could I forget?! You celebrated your very first Easter this month.  The Easter Bunny came to visit you and brought you new outfits, sunglasses, books, and maybe a little bit of candy for mom and dad.  Grandma Dingo made you the most adorable shirts I have ever seen, and you wore them with great pride!  We spent the day hanging out as a family, and we tried really hard to get a good family picture, but it was tough!



This is so indicative of our life right now!

Daddy’s birthday was this month, too.  We all had to work all day, so Grandma stayed home with you.  When we got home, we had dinner and cake and ice cream.  I made daddy a carrot cake, and Annabel, you would have loved to be able to dive right in and have a piece yourself.  You would not stop staring at the cake.  It was truly adorable!  You girls got your dad a picture frame for his office, so now he has even more pictures of you two.



I love you both so very much, and every day you continue to amaze me.  I am amazed at what beautiful little girls you are. I am amazed at all of the love that daddy and I have for you and for each other.  I am amazed with all the things you are learning every day.  There are still (many) days when your daddy and I look at each other and say, “How did we get so lucky to end up with TWO babies?” It’s amazing.  Amazing.  Life is amazing.



I love you so, so, so much my sweet Banana Boat and my little Fia Margarita. 

Love,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment