Friday, January 6, 2012

5 Week Appointment

We had our pediatrician appointment yesterday, and our girls are doing wonderfully!  They got to ride in their stroller for the first time at the appointment, and they loved it!

At 5 weeks and 3 days, here is their data:

Sophia weighs 6 pounds .5 ounce and is 19.75 inches long.  She is a little bit under the 3rd percentile, but they reminded us those percentiles are based on full term babies.  So, instead, we focus on their growth curve, which is perfect right now.  They are gaining weight and growing just like they should be.

Annabel weighs 7 pounds 1 ounce and is 20.25 inches long! She is right at the 3rd percentile and also has a great growth curve that the pediatrician is very happy with.  Annabel had the most significant oral thrush, and it is gone now, so that is also great news.  The medicine we were having to give them 4 times a day was nasty, so it's a huge relief to be done with that!

When the respiratory therapist came on Wednesday, they were also looking great.  They were both sitting at 100% with their oxygen on, AND 100% with their oxygen off!  So, this weekend we will be doing an overnight study with their oxygen off, while they wear a pulse ox monitor the whole time that records their data and levels.  Then we will find out if they can be off of oxygen if all is well.  We are so ready for them to be done with their oxygen.  It's a pain with all of the tubing all over the's actually almost impossible to carry them all the way to their nursery because the tubing is JUST long enough.  Not only is it a pain for us, but it is a literal pain for my little babies.  For Annie, the cannula rubs on her nose and kind of rubs it raw.  Yesterday, I found Annabel hanging out in her Rock N Play with her oxygen in her MOUTH.  Poor baby.  The "tendergrips" that hold the cannulas in place are like triple stick stickers that leave big red welts on their faces.  I can't wait until they don't have to deal with it anymore!

Sophia has discovered my hair!  She grabs on to it when I hold her, and it's always a challenge to get her to let go.  I'm starting to understand why a lot of moms cut their hair short!

I've been a little under the weather dealing with an infection (that is luckily NOT contagious), but I've been on antibiotics for almost 24 hours, so I'm starting to feel much better.  My girls were very good snugglers last night when I was dealing with a fever and generally yucky feeling.

I've spent three days on my own now, and I''m loving being a mom.  It was so amazing having my parents here for the first month of their life and David's mom here for about a week of it, and they were such huge helps.  I didn't have to do a load of baby clothes laundry for the first month of their lives because my mom would always get to it before I would, and David was the cloth diaper connoisseur who was perfecting our CD laundry routine.  So on Wednesday, my first day alone, I got to do all of those things plus some.  I felt VERY productive, but I also promptly decided that being a stay at home mom is a full time job!

Speaking of jobs--the original plan was that I was going to go back after Spring Break, which would be the first week of April.  Since the girls have come, we have decided that I won't be going back full time this year.  We are still working out details, but I will probably be going back half time in April and returning full time in August.  I'm very excited about that. :)

That's about it for now.  Our baby girls are thriving, and mom and dad are doing very well considering that we are adjusting to life with twin infants!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on the oxygen test. Cordless babies will be so nice. The poor girls don't even know what it's like to not have those hard plastic hoses stuck to their heads.